My food story
Serve it cool. You can not store it but you can chop the ingredients and prepare the spice mix in advance and mix them for a quick, soothing meal in summer. This cold salad is very refreshing in summer. For vegetarians and vegans, the recipe is a gem and I always eat this when I’m looking for a comfort food without compromising with healthy eating streak. Peanuts can be avoided for those with allergies. Eat this for lunch to get relief in the scorching heat. It is the best if you prefer a sour, tangy taste in your salad. Moreover, the salad tastes awesome, even without a single drop of oil or salad dressing.
(serves 2 persons)
- chickpea 350 grams
- cherry tomatoes/roma tomatoes 200 grams (roughly chopped)
- onion 1/2 cup (fine chopped)
- cilantro 1 table-spoonful (finely chopped)
- cucumber 1 cup (finely chopped)
- roasted peanuts 60 grams
- salt according to test
- dried mango powder 1 tea-spoonful
- coriander seeds 1/4 tea-spoonful (roasted and powdered)
- cumin seeds 1/2 tea-spoonful (roasted and powdered)
- black pepper 1/4 tea-spoonful (roasted and powdered)
- fennel seeds 1/2 tea-spoonful (roasted and powdered)
- cardamom 2 pieces (roasted and powdered)
- lemon juice 1 tea-spoonful
- green chili according to taste (optional)
- Soak the chickpeas in water, overnight. Boil the chickpeas and a generous pinch of salt in the water. Then, drain the water using a strainer, and keep it aside. In case you are using store bought jar or can of boiled chickpeas, drain the water and wash them thoroughly to get rid of the preserving water. This will prevent you from being bloated.
- On a dry pan, roast the seeds (coriander, cumin, fennel, black pepper) and whole cardamom for a few minutes. Grind them into fine powdered mixture.
- Take a deep bowl, add chopped onion, cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro, chickpeas and mix them well.
- Now add salt, dried mango powder, roasted and powdered spices made earlier, lemon juice and give everything a mix. Add fine chopped green chilies if you like it hot.
- In the end add the peanuts and give everything a final stir. Do not add them earlier, as that will cause them to lose their crisp from all the water in tomatoes and cucumber.
- If you are using cherry tomatoes, then they bring a natural sweetness to the salad. If you are using roma tomatoes or some other non-sweet varieties, then add a pinch of sugar to your salad or a drizzle a little honey on it.
- Serve it on a plate. Top it with a bit more chopped cilantro.
- Serve it cool. You can not store it but you can chop the ingredients and prepare the spice mix in advance and mix them for a quick, soothing meal in summer.