Overnight oats take simply no time for breakfast in the morning. It does not take more than 5 minutes of your time the night before and tastes good too. This recipe provides wholesome, quick and easy breakfast in a budget. No unnecessary, empty calories.
A fresh start to your mornings filled with goodness of fruits, seeds and nuts. It perfectly balances complex carbohydrate in the morning with protein, fiber and healthy fat for kick-starting your day.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 0 minutes
- steel-cut/rolled oats 4 table-spoonful/60ml
- apple 1, medium-size
- almonds 10 pieces
- milk (of your choice) 125 ml
- chia seeds 1 tea-spoonful/5ml
- salt 1 pinch/0.3ml (optional)
- cinnamon powder 1/4 tea-spoonful/1.5ml
- honey 1/2 tea-spoonful/2.5ml (optional)
- almonds and raisin for garnish
- Chop up the apple roughly.
- Chop up the almonds finely.
- Take a bowl, big enough to hold all the material. The bowl should preferably be round for the ease of mixing everything.
- Add the oats and submerge them in milk of your choice (animal-sourced or plant-based).
- Add the apple pieces and chopped up almonds.
- Add the chia seeds to the mixture. The mixture may look a bit runny, but once the chia seeds absorbs the moisture the consistency will thicken.
- Add a pinch of salt to the mixture, but feel free to skip it if you prefer no salt on your food or are on a low salt/sodium diet for any health-related reasons.
- Add the cinnamon powder to the mixture. Feel free to add more if you like. We just can’t go overboard on cinnamon, they are fragrant and brings with it a natural sweetness to the dish.
- Add a little honey to the mixture. You can use sugar or other sweeteners or syrup, but we prefer honey as the aroma of honey goes really well with almonds. You can also skip it if you want.
- Now, roll everything with soft hands and pour the mixture in the serving bowl.
- Garnish with a few more almonds and some raisins.
- If you like then you can swap the milk by yogurt of your choice. Both will add some healthy protein to your oats.
- Let it sit in your refrigerator overnight. You can keep it outside if it’s winter and the room temperature is cool enough for the oats to not go bad.
- Get them out of your refrigerator, and they are good to be consumed. You can simply heat it up for a couple of minutes if you want your oats to be hot and gooey.
- You can store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. But we prefer consuming it within a couple of days as we don’t really encourage eating fruits long after they are prepared as it drains a lot of the nutrition from the fruits. As a solution to that if you want to batch prepare the overnight oats for the whole week, mix everything except the fruits and refrigerate them. Get them out and add the freshly cut apple in the morning just before consuming it.
- We prefer eating them as breakfast as oats is filling and low in Glycemic index to release energy slowly throughout the day without making you hungry.
- The apple adds lots of fibers, vitamins and required energy boost from natural sugar.
- Almonds and chia seeds add the nutty goodness and extra crunch along with acting as a healthy fat source.
- Both the apple and chia seeds are high in fibers. So in total it makes a totally balanced and healthy meal option for you.
Some moments during…
Share your feedback with us
Did you try this recipe at home? Did you like it? Feel free to let us know anything and everything you have to tell us about your experience making it and how it tasted. Share your precious feedback with us in any of the following ways:
1) Leave a comment down below
2) Share a picture of your dish on Instagram and tag us @moitreesikigai, follow us there
3) Check out our Facebook page “Moitree’s Ikigai” and connect with us, like, follow, and leave a comment there
4) Check us out in Pinterest
5) Check our videos in Youtube. Like, share, subscribe us there
6) Follow and subscribe this webpage for not to miss any update
With love, always,